Community Health Systems Coder I in Franklin, Tennessee
CHSPSC, LLC is one of the leading operators of general acute care hospitals. The organization's affiliates own, operate, or lease 198 hospitals in 29 states, with an aggregate of approximately 31,000 licensed beds. The consolidated organization owns and leases community hospitals that offer quality, cost-effective healthcare including a range of inpatient medical and surgical services, outpatient treatment and skilled nursing care. In over 60 percent of the markets served, CHSPSC, LLC-affiliated hospitals are the sole provider of healthcare services.
CHSPSC, LLC seeks a Coder I for its Franklin, TN, headquarters HIIM Corporate Coding Services team.
Provides emergency department and ancillary outpatient coding support to the CHS hospitals. Reviews patient records and assigns accurate codes for each diagnosis and procedure. Applied knowledge of medical terminology, disease processes, and pharmacology. Demonstrates tested data quality and integrity skills.
This individual will be required to make independent decisions regarding accurate ICD-10-CM & PCS, and CPT / HCPCS codes assignments. These decisions will play a key role in determining the reimbursement potential of CHS and adherence to coding compliance regulations and corporate policies developed to ensure accurate billing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs remote coding for CHS hospitals via scanned medical records and abstracts via access to hospital abstracting systems as part of a corporate coding organization.
Codes Emergency Department and Ancillary care records.
Consults Manager, Corporate Coding or other available resources and works out difficult codes and/or coding problems.
Attends coding education as scheduled.
Other duties may be assigned
Mandatory overtime may be required based on business needs:
o 10 hour days up to 5 days a week
o Up to 8 hours for weekends
o Working of certain holidays.
Certificates and Licenses:
• Preferred to have 1 or more of the following certifications (CPC, CCA, CCS, RHIA, or RHIT).
• Must have valid driver s license.
• Minimum 1 (one) year acute care hospital outpatient coding experience preferred
• ICD-10-CM trained required with ICD-10-PCS preferred.
• Maintains productivity levels set forth by Community Health Systems while maintaining a 95% coding accuracy rate.
• Thorough knowledge of the related prospective payment systems (PPS)
• Broad knowledge of pharmacology indications for drug usage and related adverse reactions
• Knowledge of ancillary testing (laboratory, X-ray, EKG)
• Knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and medical terminology
• Understanding of coding practices and official guidelines
• Experience with PC, mainframe applications, and encoding systems
• Strong time management skills to balance coding responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions as it relates to review of medical record documentation and accurate selection of codes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software and Database software and be comfortable working in a remote environment and following instructions related to basic problem troubleshooting of own computer setup.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Work is routinely performed in a home office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Travel will be less than 5%.
Job: Health Information
Organization: Coder Employment Entity
Requisition ID: 1809686